This vibrant and bright smoothie is packed with protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats to fuel you through your morning or after a workout. Plus the added ginger and lemon help to soothe and improve digestion!
Beets! Are a really great source of folic acid, fiber, and potassium. The deep purple color comes from betacyanin, which, in combination with the fiber content, has shown to be protective against colon cancer.
Beets also contain nitrates that our bodies convert to nitric oxide, which has a blood dilating effect. This is why runners and endurance athletes love beets – they may increase our endurance!
- 1 medium beet, cooked, peeled, quartered
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup hulled hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2” knob ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- You can either steam or roast your beets. Then just trim off the root and peel off the skin. You can add them to your smoothie warm, cold, or frozen.
- Note: to sweeten it up a bit, you can add maple syrup, honey, or dates!
- In a high-speed blender, add all of the ingredients and blend on high until totally smooth.
- Enjoy right away or stash it in the fridge for later!
How-to roast beets:
- Rinse the beets, then trim any long pointy tops off. Wrap each in tinfoil (if your beets are small, you can wrap them all in one foil pack). Place them on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for about 50-60 minutes, depending on the size of the beet, or until a knife slides easily into the center. Let them cool enough to handle, then use your hands or a knife to remove the skin and trim off the root.
Items you can prep ahead (optional)
- Peel your orange
- Cook your beets!
- To make vegan, substitute with a vegan yogurt or skip the yogurt and increase to ½ cup hemp seeds
- Use any berry in place of blueberries
- Use any nut or seed butter
- Can substitute ¼ cup chia seeds for hemp seeds, though you may need to add more water as the smoothie will thicken up a lot more.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Leftovers + Repurposing:
- Give the smoothie a stir before drinking.
- Make it a bowl!