These oats have a secret ingredient that adds both protein and creaminess – egg! While the cooked oats are still piping hot, an egg gets slowly whisked in and gently cooked by the heat from the oats. To add more protein and creaminess, stir in nut butter and top with Greek yogurt. The rest is up to you, but read the recipe notes for my favorite mix-ins.
With the Greek yogurt added, this breakfast packs in 25g of protein and lots of fiber, iron, magnesium, selenium, and zinc!
Rolled oats! are a whole grain that is a great source of fiber, complex carbs, B vitamins, iron, selenium, magnesium, and zinc, to name a few! Oats contain a soluble fiber called beta glucan, which is proven to reduce levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol, slow down and aid in digestion, and keep you fuller longer.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp nut or seed butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Grated apple or mashed ripe banana (optional)
- Maple syrup, to taste
- ¼ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt (optional)
- sliced bananas, chopped apple, berries, chopped nuts, hemp seeds, nut/seed butter, etc…
- Note: ~ My favorite combination is grated apple and dates stirred in and topped with a dollop of yogurt, chopped apple, peanut butter, and cinnamon!
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg thoroughly.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl (use a good sized bowl so it doesn’t overflow in the microwave), stir together the water, oats, chia, and salt. Microwave for about 2 minutes, then give it a stir and microwave for 30 more seconds (you want it to still be a little bit liquidy so that eggs can easily mix in, but not watery – see video).
- Immediately slowly pour the egg into the oats while whisking the oats constantly. Stir in the nut butter, cinnamon, and any other mix-ins.
- Add sweetener to taste and top with desired toppings.
- These oats are delicious both warm and cold the next day.
Items you can prep ahead (optional)
- These oats can be made ahead and enjoyed cold the next day or reheated.
- To make vegan, skip the egg.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Leftovers + Repurposing:
- Enjoy leftovers chilled and topped with all the toppings or warm it up on low power in the microwave until warmed through.
- Add a heaping scoop to your morning smoothie to thicken it up.