This Thai-inspired grilled chicken bowl uses a base of raw crunchy veg that gets tossed in a simple peanut dressing. Chicken pieces get tossed in a sweet n’ salty marinade and grilled to crispy charred perfection. Top it all with creamy avocado, fresh herbs, more peanut dressing, crunchy peanuts, and tangy spicy sriracha!
Chicken! Chicken is a great way to get in high quality protein that’s packed with selenium, choline, niacin (Vitamin B3), and vitamin B6, and B12.
For the chicken:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup water
For the salad:
- 5 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 bell pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Chopped peanuts
- Lime wedges
- Sriracha (optional)
- Turn your grill on high for at least 10 minutes to preheat.
- For the chicken, in a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, coconut sugar, curry powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add the chicken and stir to coat evenly. Divide chicken pieces between your skewers (save any extra marinade in the bowl). Place on the grill and cook on medium-high, covered, for about 5-10 minutes or until deeply browned/charred.
- Use a spatula to loosen the chicken from the grates and use tongs to flip them over. Brush any extra marinade from the bowl onto the skewers. Cook, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl or jar, whisk together the peanut butter, lime, soy, and sugar until a smooth thick paste forms (if peanut butter is cold, microwave for a few seconds to warm it up a bit so it mixes more easily). Whisk in the water until a smooth dressing/runny sauce forms.
- In a large bowl, add the cabbage, cucumber, bell pepper, ½ of the scallions, and ½ of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve the salad topped with the chicken, avocado, remaining scallions, peanuts, and drizzle the remaining dressing all over. Top with a squeeze of lime and sriracha (if using).
Items you can prep ahead (optional)
- Thinly slice 1 bunch scallions
- Mix together marinade
- Cube 1-1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast + add to marinade.
- Make the dressing
- Thinly slice 5 cups cabbage
- Peel + thinly slice 1 cucumber (about 2 cups)
- Thinly slice 1 bell pepper (about 1.5 cups)
- To make vegetarian/vegan, use extra firm tofu (drained and pressed well) in place of chicken. I have never grilled tofu, so I’m not sure if that is a good idea but you can always bake them in the same marinade in the oven (425F convection or 450F) until golden.
- To make nut-free, use tahini in place of peanut butter.
- Sub cabbage with shredded lettuce.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge:
- Cabbage mixture: up to 4 days in the fridge
- Chicken: up to 4 days in the fridge
Leftovers + Repurposing:
- Add veggie base to your bowl, warm up leftover chicken and place on top. Top with all the toppings.
- Top with a fried egg.
- Make it a rice bowl!